ADVANCEMENT VIA INDIVIDUAL DETERMINATION (AVID)
Hello Grizzly Family! We are excited to be growing the AVID program at LOHS. 2023-2024 will be our eighth year of implementation and we are enjoying watching this program develop and grow into a true success for our students. We now have 4 AVID classes. They consist of classes at the freshman, sophomore, junior and senior levels. Our students enjoy a rigorous academic journey complete with college tutors that assist in the classrooms twice each week. They also experience college visits, college fairs and career exploration opportunities. Below is some information that gives you a better understanding of what AVID is and the purpose of the program. The AVID students for the 2023-2024 school year are now applying. Please do not delay as our spots will fill up fast. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Awesome job to the AVID students at LOHS, CLAWS UP!!!!
Mrs. Katie Fiandaca
Email: [email protected]
What is AVID?
- AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- A national program designed to prepare students for colleges and universities.
- The purpose of AVID is to increase school wide learning and performance by closing achievement gaps and preparing all students for college and career.
- Uses a student centered approach to learning, equity, college and career readiness, and community
- An elective class
What does the AVID program offer?
- Collaborative Study Groups
- College Tutors for Assistance
- 2-3 Guided College Tours Per Year
- Develop Organizational Skills
- Lessons that relate to Technology + Career Exploration + Employability +Life + Learning Skills (TCELLs)
- College Preparation
What is the criteria to be in AVID?
- Students with GPA of 2.8-4.0
- Students will special circumstances
- Students who have scored average or above average on state standardized tests
- Students who may or may not be become the first in their family to go to college
- Students who may or may not be on free or reduced lunch
- Students who may or may not be traditionally underserved in four-year colleges
- Students who want to prepare and develop skills needed for success in college and career
HOW EFFECTIVE IS AVID
In 2018, We had 14 AVID seniors. They all graduated, were accepted to college and are currently attending.
in 2019, we had 27 AVID seniors. They all graduated, were accepted to college and are currently attending.